We help health researchers to access patient health information in a timely way that is consistent with privacy requirements.
“Research” is defined in section as academic, applied or scientific health‑related research that necessitates the use of individually identifying diagnostic, treatment and care information or individually identifying registration information, or both.
HIM's Records Management provides services to researchers who require health information or to perform data matching or other services to facilitate your research.
To have health information disclosed, the researcher must agree to the following:
- to comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and the regulations, and any conditions we may impose relating to the use, protection, disclosure, return or disposal of the health information, and any safeguards against identification, direct or indirect, of an individual;
- to use the health information only for the purpose of conducting the proposed research;
- not to publish the health information in a form that could reasonably enable the identify of an individual who is the subject of the information to be readily ascertained;
- not to make any attempt to contact an individual who is the subject of the health information to obtain additional health information unless the individual has provided the Health Records site consent; and
- to pay the costs, if any, set by Health Records which may vary by health care location.