Skip to main content

How do I report an error on my health record?

If you believe there is incorrect information in your health record, you can write to the Health Record Department at the site where you received care. They will work with you to address your concerns.

​Correcting Your Health Record

Under Section 29 of FIPPA, patients (or authorized representatives) have the right to request corrections to their personal information.  All requests for corrections to personal information must be in writing.

Original records cannot be changed except for demographic (factual) errors.

You may submit documents describing or discussing the correction of your personal information.  The method of amending personal information is to mark the original as in dispute and append an amendment/correction to the record.

This information is provided to HIM from BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association.

You have a right to request to see ("access") and to request correction to the information in your health record. There are a few limitations on the right.

Also, while you have a right to request that a change be made to your health record, certain types of information, such as opinions and diagnoses, cannot be changed because the record must remain an accurate reflection of the opinions and diagnoses made at the date they were made.  If later opinions are changed, that changed opinion would be in the record on a later date.

If you request a change which is not made, a notation will be made in the record next to the information you wanted changed showing that you made the request and stating what you wanted the information to be changed to.

The Personal Information Protection Act applies to health care providers in private practice, such as your doctor or physiotherapist. The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act applies to government entities, including health authorities, their hospitals and clinics, government programs such as some counselling and support services and government ministries.

If you aren't sure which law applies to the organization holding the records you want to see, simply ask the health care authority's privacy officer or your doctor. 

Click here for a list of health organization privacy officers.

SOURCE: How do I report an error on my health record? ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © Provincial Health Services Authority. All Rights Reserved.