Skip to main content

How do I request a copy of my/child's health records?

All requests for a patient’s health record must be submitted in writing. Please fully complete the ‘Authorization for the Release of Health Records form', as the information is required to process your request.  The form must be signed by the patient or patient’s authorized legal representative. For detailed instructions on filling out this form, please follow the instructions below:

Authorization Instructions: Release of Health Records

Parents/guardians, if your child is over 12 years of age, your child MUST sign the authorization form to obtain their records. 

If the patient is a child under 12 years of age or otherwise unable to consent (e.g., mentally incompetent, deceased), you must complete the specific section in the Authorization for the Release of Health records form in full, including the reason for your request. 

Please include any documentation supporting your request. If your child is under the age of 12 years, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation proving you are a guardian. Acceptable supporting documentation would include, but is not limited to, a letter from a lawyer, school teacher, or a doctor stating that they have knowledge that you are a guardian. 

Please note that Section 40 of the Family Law Act states that a child’s guardian may exercise all guardian responsibilities as long as they do so in consultation with the child’s other guardian(s), unless consultation would be unreasonable or inappropriate in the circumstances.

SOURCE: How do I request a copy of my/child's health records? ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © Provincial Health Services Authority. All Rights Reserved.